Pages

  • HOME
  • ABOUT
  • POLICIES / DISCLOSURES
  • CONTACT ME
STYLE ART LIFE

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Shopping: Urban Outfitters Picks



Skull Box - Palmistry Hand

Urban Outfitters is the ex I just can't get away from. I hate them for reasons above the normal hipster-phobia of most; the company ethics are terrible, with art theft and cultural appropriation everyday occurrences, and their CEO is nuts. I can't think of a place where the irony of their 'stick it to the man' merchandise is more apparent.

Nonetheless, I keep coming back to their homewear selection. It's like an indie (or pseudo-indie) version of Firebox. Despite some desperate intentionally offensive pieces, they do sometimes have an eye for pretty things, and I fell in love with this jewellery box when I was in shopping for my brother's birthday (desperate times call for desperate measures). The palmistry hand I've seen around elsewhere recently, so I'm hoping to find another place to purchase one - I may not have such luck for the box, though. How depressing that the art can't always be separate from the creator.

Does anyone else have an intense love-hate relationship with a brand? I can't be the only one who can't resist the allure despite reasons I shouldn't. Let me know in the comments!





Fee

4 comments:

  1. If you can't find one on eBay, Etsy, or an esoteric store, maybe you could buy one of those jewellery hand things and paint the drawings on yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can find them elsewhere, but I hadn't considered DIYing it (derp). Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Etsy has several "palmistry hands"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised; as I said - palmistry hands are relatively common, but the box might be more difficult.

      Delete

I love interacting with readers, and promise to reply all comments. Spam and advertising will be deleted.