Pages

  • HOME
  • ABOUT
  • POLICIES / DISCLOSURES
  • CONTACT ME
STYLE ART LIFE

Wednesday 1 January 2014

Resolutions for 2014


My wee baby, who has been ill over the holidays with a UTI. :(

(My usual wardrobe feature post has been postponed, and instead will be up in a day or two.) 

Welp, the year is over. I'm not actually sure what to say about 2013; it was a strange and mixed year, but not a terrible one. I'm hoping 2014 is destined to be a good year, especially for a lot of bloggers out there who have had a difficult time over the last 12 months. It's certainly going to be an exciting one, as Scotland votes on whether or not to become an independent country, I look for my first flat (!) and my course go into the last year of my academic teaching phase.

I made resolutions at the end of last year as to what I was hoping for the year ahead, and I can happily say that I haven't crafted as much as I said I would, nor become a proficient cook or shopped exclusively second hand. I hugged my dog a lot, at least.

Still, I always treat resolutions more as guidelines, and I have developed somewhat. I've learned how to stop feeling guilty about things that I shouldn't be worrying about. Whilst my views as a feminist haven't changed, I've learned about new issues and also how to better express myself and talk to people who aren't as enthusiastic as me. As both a medic and a fashion enthusiast, I'm finding new areas (infertility, child health) and inspirations (nu goth, twenties flapper) without feeling overwhelmed or like I'm betraying myself. I got a job, and earned my way during the summer. My health has been poor for the latter part of the year, but I've managed to overcome that.

As for this year? Well, there's still things I want to change.

  • Cut down on PDA. Guilty as charged. Part of it is just me forgetting that my levels of normal physical contact are above those of most people, and part of it is just due to bad habits.
  • Switch from Digital to Analogue. I spend a lot of time - far too much - and I've also been neglecting a lot of old passions, like reading and crafting. I want to switch over so that I'm not so reliant on technology for work and for entertainment.
  • Do something with my hair. Because Christ, it gets boring wearing it the same way all the time.
  • Not be afraid to wander down new paths. I have a post about this coming up, but I don't want be restricted to a very narrow range of interests.
  • Make my study time more effective and relax more. I have a tendency to plod on with work even when it's fruitless, and forgetting to do things that I enjoy.
  • Clear out my closet. I've managed to learn how not to take stuff to Dundee that I don't wear, but my wardrobe at home has far more things that need to leave!
  • Wear every colour of the rainbow for lipstick. Because it came to my attention that I haven't ever tried green lipstick yet, and that simply will not do.

Do you feel that New Year's Resolutions are an outdated fad, or have you made your own? Let me know in the comments!







Fee




4 comments:

  1. I love your lipstick idea! I want to do the same for hair. I just bought some blue dye...I'll have that rainbow soon enough. I usually do a flip on the whole resolution thing. Instead of letting something go or stopping myself from doing something, I try to learn a new skill. lol I haven't committed to anything yet. I'm thinking fencing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I used to fence - let me know if you end up doing that! I usually try and learn something new myself, though I forgot to this year - maybe continue blues dancing?

      Delete
  2. I think new year resolutions are in danger of being overused, in the sense that many people say 'my New Years resolution is such and such' and then consistently fail to do anything about it. If people didn't make resolutions for the sake of making them, and actually did it as a genuine attempt to improve their lives, I think it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to treat new year resolutions more as a guideline for what I want the year to turn out like; it's more an evaluation of what I would like to happen (which includes things that would improve my life) than a force of habit.

      Delete

I love interacting with readers, and promise to reply all comments. Spam and advertising will be deleted.