Pages

  • HOME
  • ABOUT
  • POLICIES / DISCLOSURES
  • CONTACT ME
STYLE ART LIFE

Monday 2 June 2014

Red and Black Week 2014, Day 2: Male Fashion - Formal and Casual


As you all well know, I run a dark fashion blog. I've also expanded to write on culture, art, lifestyle, crafts and god knows what else. It's a veritable smorgasbord of aesthetics and thoughts. One thing I've barely covered however - even in passing - is men's fashion. Though it's sad how little room there is for experimentation and variety, I do like the structure and attention to detail - something, with the freedom of print and colour and style, women's fashion often forgets.


I've mentioned Ben of The Pop Culture Cynic not a few times on here, but very rarely that he is often better dressed than me. Though his casual outfits tend to revolve around t shirts (admittedly often homemade) and jeans, his formal ones always make glorious use of colour. Naturally, this includes red and black.

Even his glasses are appropriate.

I love the 'long hair, don't care' attitude he has in wearing head-to-toe red. When prompted, he finally admitted that he enjoyed art deco and twenties men's fashion, which you don't see a lot of in goth style (something which surprises me, as I love it). Most current men's formal wear tends to take it's shape from this period, though I've yet to see a zoot suit worn outside of Halloween.


Men's fashion blogging is a steadily expanding niche, but nonetheless outside of The Sinister Sartorialist I can't think of any male dark fashion bloggers (though I hope Ben isn't a lost cause!). Any suggestions? I would be interested in featuring a greater variety of bloggers on An Honest Drug.

Casual style, also appropriate.

Come back for another Red and Black Week post tomorrow!





Fee


10 comments:

  1. There are a few dark fashion male bloggers i follow on lookbook...maybe I'll do a post one of these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do - I haven't checked on lookbook, but I certainly can't find many elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. How lovely to feature men's fashion in this theme!! Yes there are too few men who blog about male fashion. When it comes to my own man he enjoys fashion and style but only wear jeans and tshirt and jacket occasionally. I love the red top to toe outfit, it's very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - Ben is thinking of taking part next year, which will be fun to see. Thank you on his behalf; it would be good to see more male dark fashion bloggers.

      Delete
  3. Ah no, Ben's definitely not a lost cause, make hime pose more! ;)
    Most men are such lazy dressers, I wish there was more inspiration for them. My boyfriend, for example knows a lot about men's fashion and he likes to dress elegant, but he's too lazy to put outfits together, so he usually just goes with the jeans + t-shirt combo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll do my best!

      I don't necessarily think it's that men are just lazy (though obviously some are, just as I am!); there isn't a lot out there in the main stream (or even goth) that expands the variety of menswear, and most men aren't really encouraged to experiment with fashion in the first place. It's definitely improving, and the recent upsurge of interest in men's formal dressing attests to men breaking boundaries, but there's a long way to go.

      Delete
  4. Yes to more men! (Wait - that sounded wrong! lol). I think Ben is adorable, and I've always loved The Sinister Sartorialist! We definitely need more of that in blog land. I hope you will find others to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to do a post collating all the male dark fashion bloggers out there, should I find them.

      Delete
  5. Definitely nice to see a male fashion blogger! Excellent post, I think we all need to see more of this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I intend on hunting down all of them and bringing them to light, however long it takes.

      Delete

I love interacting with readers, and promise to reply all comments. Spam and advertising will be deleted.